December 2023 School of Nursing/College of Health and Human Services Graduate

Categories: General News

With just a few days until commencement, Anna Linton isn’t sure what to do with her newly found free time. 

Linton jump-started her college career as a high school junior. At 16, she transferred to Levine Middle College, which allows students to earn college credit while in high school. After completing high school and earning an associate degree in science, Linton spent the summer taking a certified nursing assistant course.  

“I knew I was interested in the field of science, but I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do,” Linton said. “After I finished the CNA course, my mind was made up. I knew I wanted to be a nurse.” 

With an associate degree, Linton entered UNC Charlotte’s School of Nursing as a junior.

“The first semester was difficult, especially since I was a commuter student,” said Linton. “Once I was able to establish study habits and coping strategies, I was okay.”

The second semester of junior year is considered the most challenging time of the program. Linton credits her professors and their teaching methods for her success in the program and strengthening her love for nursing.

“Dr. Jackson was my honor’s advisor and one of my professors — she was fantastic,” said Linton. “All of my teachers were amazing in the nursing program. You can tell they love what they do, which makes it easy to stay engaged.”

Linton’s journey to become a registered nurse continues with the National Council Licensure Examination in January.  She has been accepted into the nurse residency program at Novant Health, where she plans to make the most of the opportunity by exploring the specialty areas of medical surgery and intensive care. 

She also has been accepted into UNC Charlotte’s School of Nursing graduate program. Starting in fall 2024, Linton will begin studies toward a Master of Science in Nursing with a concentration in Family Nurse Practitioner Across the Lifespan. Upon degree completion, she will be an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, which will enable her to provide primary care to families across the lifespan.

“Throughout this program, especially clinicals when I interacted with nurses and doctors, I have seen that nurses make the most impact with patients,” said Linton. “Patient interaction is what I love the most about nursing. I look forward to making a difference with every patient that I interact with.”

When asked where she envisioned herself in three years, Linton says she is open to all possibilities. She noted one of the many lessons she learned as an undergraduate was to take a breath and know that everything will be alright.